Friday, September 25, 2009

Storms

What do you do during a rainstorm? I hate the cold, so I usually do all I can to avoid getting wet, stay inside and curl up with a good book, a favorite movie, or bake with reckless abandon. Well, we had a rainstorm here today and my dog had a different idea. He decided it was the perfect time to go outside to find his favorite digging hole. It had become a virtual swimming hole and he thought it was the perfect time to excavate the wet, sopping mud. I didn't realize he'd gone outside until he came bounding in the back door, raced around my living room furniture and sprayed muddy water everywhere. He had soggy mud on his face all the way past his eyes, the slopping mess covering his legs and stomach, dripping off onto the floor. I grabbed his collar quickly before he did any more damage to my carpet and said, "First, grab the camera, then fill up the bathtub!"

I think the next time I face a storm in my life, I'll try to be more like my dog and look for the puddle to play in instead of the shelter to hide me from the rain. He was a terrific mess, but he was incredibly happy and pleased with himself. He hadn't even noticed the cold or the rain or the impending thunder. He was too busy splashing and digging. I'm not sure that every cloud has a silver lining, but every rainstorm makes a fine, sloshy mud puddle to pounce in.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Often I like to stand in the rain and feel the water soak my hair and my skin. If it is raining very hard, then I like to jump in puddles. Recently, I have not the energy to expend in such a fashion. I also enjoy a nice kiss from Ken in the rain.

Raining thunderstorms at night sing me to sleep like a lullaby.

Bette said...

You make me smile. . . and sometimes laugh. Buddy sure found a fabulous home.

Rae said...

I'm impressed you grabbed the camera. . . .