Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Wish

I volunteer at an elementary school once a week. Nothing much; helping second graders do some reading, labeling books, marking papers. The classroom is at the far end of the school, so each week as I make the journey to my assigned classroom I walk by a number of displays of children's work. There were school buses at the beginning of the year, various sorts of flags around Veteran's Day, and turkeys galore at Thanksgiving time. The displays have always been amusing, creative and innocent, but none had ever caused me to stop for even a moment in the hallway on my way to the second grade classroom at the end of school. Until Wednesday.

The bulletin board was filled with stockings. Each had the top portion filled with glued on cotton balls to simulate the real thing. Each had been colored with various shades of Christmas hues. Each had a center portion of lined paper. Each had written upon it the child's Christmas wish. I glanced, expecting requests for skateboards, game systems or any number of popular toys. I then stopped suddenly and turned around for a second look, certain I had been mistaken. I stood in the quiet hallway filled with stocking wishes and read. The first stocking said, "I wish my Dad didn't have to work so much." The stocking just above it read, "I wish the Jones family had enough food to eat." I was stunned, and humbled. I wondered how many of their parents had seen their stockings. I wondered if that father had picked up extra shifts or a second job to pay for Christmas gifts. I wondered if that child would rather give some food to another family than to have another present under the tree. I wondered if anyone at home had asked those children what they really wanted for Christmas and if they knew how little it would cost them to grant their children's wishes.

In a society that constantly reports on the insatiable greed of the upcoming generation, I invite you to walk down the hall at your elementary school. Learn what children really want for Christmas. You. Your time. Your love. To help. To serve. To give. Maybe, if we listen closely enough, our children can give us the greatest gift this Christmas. The ability to grant their truest wish.

6 comments:

Stefi Patterson said...

That is an amazing story. I too have helped at elementary schools and I have also been amazed at their true feelings and desires. Thanks for sharing this.

Emma said...

Hi Anna! Welcome to the world of blogging. I finally succumbed when we moved here - it's just such an easy way to share pictures and thoughts. It's good to "hear" your voice. Miss you tons! Emma

The Zen Chemist said...

Anna I loved this story, but remember that you can include very short posts as well. Keep smiling and let this be a stress relief rather than a stressor.

Kimbo said...

This story brings tears to my eyes. It's because of amazing parents like you that kids are doing this incredible things. Thanks for sharing and bringing the Christmas spirit into my day.

Crazy Beth said...

Way to go sis. What I'm most excited about is being able to hear your thoughts and insights on life, since you've always had an ability to bring to words what we all feel but don't know how to explain.
I love you and miss you tons! Sure wish you were closer, but this might help a little.

erin sheely said...

That's fantastic. I'm so glad you are blogging now!