Friday, November 27, 2009

Tradition, Tradition

I am a traditionalist. I grew up in the same town, in the same house, in the same room until I left for college. I had the same friends from preschool all the way into high school. I grew up in a family and a town where change was a rarity and I liked it that way. Holidays were especially important, entrenched in moments that repeated themselves year after year. I remember the stir it caused in my extended family when we moved our Christmas day celebration to a new location - it was big news.

When I got married almost fourteen years ago, I had no idea that my traditionalist ways were about to be greatly tested. My husband decided to pursue a career that required lengthy and varied training. This meant transferring to many different schools, all of which ended up being in different states. After just a few years, we moved thousands of miles away from any family member, making it even more difficult to carry on the traditions I had loved as a girl. I tried to make the best of every occasion and learned to adapt to the existing circumstances of my life, but a part of me still longed for the upbringing I had known for my own children.

Last week, thoughts of turkey dinners, extended family, hot pies and tradition started haunting me again. We had planned to travel several states away to visit with friends who have become like family for the Thanksgiving festivities, but they had an unexpected flood in their basement. Our sleeping quarters were under water and they needed the time for home renovations, so we were left without plans. I was inclined to stay home and host another dinner myself - not unlike many I had done in the past where we invited others without family to join us for a feast. But my husband really wanted to get away, so he started looking at beach houses to rent. It's cheap to visit the beach in the winter - too cold, too windy. He found a beauty of a cottage at a beauty of a price and suggested we travel there, turkey, trimmings and all for this traditional holiday.

Accustomed to variance in my visions of tradition, I agreed. I, too, love the beach. I just never anticipated celebrating Thanksgiving there. Packing the morning we left, filling paper bags with Thanksgiving foods, suitcases with sunscreen and swimming suits, my mood swiftly declined. Where was tradition? Where were the memories? What kind of heritage was I giving my children? Who has Thanksgiving at the beach by themselves?

We schlepped everything, dog included, into the van and drove the few hours to the beach. We arrived just before sunset. I suggested we stop by the ocean before unschlepping at the cottage. As we parked, set foot on the sand, and saw the waves rolling gently inward and outward, the sun sinking in crimson delight, my tension melted away and I thought, who gets to have Thanksgiving at the beach?

The sun rose slowly through the fog on Thursday. Forecasting over 70 degree weather, we decided to buck tradition altogether, seize the sun filled day and head to the sea and sand. We read, we jumped waves, we tried skim boarding, we dug giant holes and we walked along the ocean. We ate cheese sandwiches for lunch and snacked on licorice and gummy bears on the shore. We stayed until the sun was waning and the cool breezes licked our faces, reminding us it was November after all.

We cleaned up at the cottage and drove through the sleepy beach town trying to find anyplace open to eat. As we heartily downed potato soup, fried shrimp and salad I couldn't resist one last try at tradition. I asked everyone to share something they were thankful for. My daughter said, "I'm thankful we could spend Thanksgiving together at the beach."

I realized then that I was giving my children memories. I was giving them a wonderful heritage. Not one where the dishes and company were always the same. Not one entrenched in sameness and solidarity. Not one that they would necessarily continue generation after generation in their own homes as they grow and leave me. But I was giving them the heritage of love. I was leaving them the legacy of spending time together having fun as a family. I was giving them the ability to be grateful for time away, the ability to celebrate a holiday based on gratitude by being grateful for the moments they had, however untraditional they were.

They, in turn, were giving me the gift of a new definition of traditionalist.

No comments: