Monday, November 2, 2009

It Doesn't Take Much

I think we make service too complicated. We work at raising our children and serving our families day after day and somehow still feel guilty that we're not doing enough to help other people. We feel like if we're not at a homeless shelter or cleanup project, it isn't really serving. We worry that unless we spend hours helping others at an immense personal sacrifice, we're not doing enough. But I learned this week that sometimes service can be simple. I discovered that God has a way of using us to serve others in deeply personal ways, if only we let Him.

Many months ago I bought a picture that had particular meaning to me. It has hung on the wall next to my bed since then and brought me significant comfort and perspective. A couple of months ago I was asked to share some thoughts with a women's group and brought the picture to share. After my remarks, one woman told me how much that picture had touched her, so the next time I was at the store where I had bought it, I picked one up for her. It didn't take much time, it wasn't expensive, and I simply stuck it in my bag.

The picture sat somewhat forgotten until a crazy day last week. I was trying to prepare food, costume my children and get out the door to a Halloween party. It had been another full day and I was already exhausted at 5:00. A friend called me and said she had been making chicken pot pie and it had taken on a life of its own. She had way too much and asked if she could bring dinner over. I had just begun to wonder what I could quickly throw together for my family before we left and readily accepted her offer. The pot pie was like manna from Heaven in that moment. She had no idea when she called that I was on the verge of an early evening collapse. She didn't, but God did.

Minutes before we had to leave for the party I remembered my trunk. At the end of the festivities we would hand out candy from our beautifully decorated car trunks. Already racing the clock, I realized I hadn't decorated the van and sent my children scrambling through the house to grab some pumpkins and pictures to throw in. As we hurriedly drove away, I looked with dismay into the back seat. It was strewn with bags. Some days I just about live in my van, so I always have an assortment of bags with me in case I have time to write, run to the gym, or prepare a lesson. I was so embarrassed that I hadn't even had time to clear out my mess, but rushed on to the party anyway. I hoped no one would notice the chaos when it was time to open up the trunks.

We got to the party, started to eat and play games when I noticed the woman who had talked to me after my presentation. I hadn't seen her for over a month and I suddenly remembered the purchase I had made weeks before. I walked over and told her I had something for her. She looked at me, a bit surprised, and said, "You thought of me today?" "No," I replied, "I got it a month ago." It then dawned on me that I actually had it with me. The picture was in my embarrassing disaster of a backseat. It was in one of my bags. I quickly said, "I'll be right back." I ran out to my now gratefully full van, got the picture and brought it inside. As I handed it to her, tears instantly welled up in her eyes and with considerable emotion she said, "You have no idea how much I needed this. And that I needed it - today." She told me later how lonely and discouraged she had been feeling that day. She had wondered if God really knew her and remembered her. She had prayed for comfort, to know if she was loved. When I handed her that particular picture, in that precise moment, she knew. I had no idea how much she needed that picture right then. I didn't, but God did.

Saturday afternoon I had my son make a phone call. He had scored the winning goal at his soccer game that day and was so excited. He had already called both sets of his grandparents when I had the passing thought that I should dial another number. I had him call my sweet friend who has been going through some tough times. He told her all about his soccer goal and chatted happily for a few minutes, then hung up. Off we drove to his team party to celebrate. She called me last night to thank me. She told me how that day she had been struggling, dealing with a difficult situation and was on the verge of tears. Then her phone rang. When she heard my son's innocent, excited voice talking about his accomplishment, it lifted her heart and helped her get through her day. She said I had no idea how much she needed that call at that exact moment. She's right. I didn't, but God did.

Service doesn't always have to be big. Most of the time it's simply thinking of another person and letting God work His miracles through us. He's that good. He can inspire us to serve in ways that only He knows will help. He can use kind neighbors, tired Moms and even little boys to help someone else. It doesn't take much. Sometimes service is a chicken pot pie, a simple phone call, and a messy van.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

So true, Anna. I've noticed that over the last few months, too, and have felt closer to my family and Heavenly Father as a result.