Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hooray!

My husband ran over our son's bike last night. The brand new bike he just got for his birthday. He hadn't put it away all the way, so my husband caught the end of it as he pulled into the garage after a very long day at work. My husband felt horrible, the destruction capping off the day he'd just endured. He hesitated telling our son, but knew he'd have to before the next morning when he'd want to ride it to school. He walked to the front yard, told our son he'd crushed the training wheel on his new bike. Our son jumped up and down shouting, "Hooray!" He was thrilled that now he'd get to learn to ride his bike without training wheels. Dad and son spent the rest of the evening mastering the art of two wheeled biking, having a wonderful time.

I wonder if we should try to see our trials in life and shout, "Hooray!" for the opportunity to learn something from them. Somehow I think God is waiting for us to embrace all our life experiences as chances to learn and grow, to finally ride on two wheels.

Hooray!

3 comments:

Matt said...

Hooray! Thanks sis for always making me think of life in a more positive way. Miss you all!

Lisa Brown said...

What a great way to think about it! Maybe it was meant to be :).

Rae said...

I just read your most recent posts (from newest to oldest) and they were all moving, but this was the one I read and couldn't hold it in anymore and actually sobbed--at Maxwell's "Hooray!" What a great lesson. Love it. Hooray!!