Thursday, October 22, 2009

Of Plants & Blooming

I have a houseplant that hates my house. I have tried it in every room in my house, including the bathroom, to no avail. It would do fine for a few days, then the leaves would start to droop, sometimes yellow and even fall off. After months of this plant's tenuous survival as a houseplant, I finally moved it outside to my screened in porch. Within a day, it was thriving. I couldn't believe the difference it made simply moving it to the right location.

I have heard the phrase 'bloom where you are planted', but I think sometimes you need to plant yourself where you will bloom. Many times we place ourselves in situations, relationships, organizations or otherwise that do not allow us to thrive. We put ourselves in the front window when really we need to be on the back porch. The beauty of life is that we have choices. Even when we are surrounded by circumstances not of our choosing, we get to choose how we react. We get to choose how we feel. We get to choose how we will handle it. We get to decide on the location of our heart.

So if it's not working, try a new spot. Maybe you need to plant yourself where you will bloom.

No comments: