Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Light that Shines in Brussels

            I’ve been thinking today about light.  It seems the brighter the light, the greater the effort of darkness to overcome it.
            I had a teacher once who embodied light.  He welcomed every student into his classroom with a smile.  He called us by name, he laughed, he taught us about light.  We could sense that what he was teaching us was true, because the teachings were a part of him.  The light radiated from him. 
            He left his home and family to share that light.  He spent two years in the dangerous Ivory Coast of Africa.  We all prayed for his safety there.  We worried and wondered and hoped he would return without incident.  He did.
            He left again, to France.  He had served there as a young man sharing the light of his faith many years before.  He was thrilled to return and continue his service.  We did not worry about danger there.
            Until this morning, when in a simple effort to travel to an airport with some younger missionaries, darkness invaded.  Exploded.  Shattered into his light. 
            I have prayed for him all day, for his family, his injuries, that his light would not be diminished in this way.
            I have prayed with friends, other students, family members, people who do not know him, joining with me to invoke light. 
            And that is how the darkness will fail.  Darkness cannot withstand the presence of light.  It must flee.  As our light combines in intensity, refusing to give in to darkness, it must leave. 
            My teacher sparked a light within me that has grown into a fervent flame.  He has taught so many others who were changed by that light.  His light grows in us.  And as we unite in that light, to shine to the world, the darkness will leave.  Hope will prevail. 

Be well, Richard Norby, we are shining for you.


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!!!
Thank you, Anna. You put the feelings of my heart into words.
Lori

Craig said...

Such a great man

Scott Bryan said...

Amen! I feel the same for him. I couldn't have put it better. He was my teacher as well. My heart goes out to him. Will there be some kind of good will project we can do for him?

Unknown said...

Indeed he is a light that shines so bright he was also my teacher such a wonderful person who had a major impact on my life may his light shine stronger yet to share his testimony my heart and prayers go out to him we love you brother Norby

Alicia Phillips said...

This is just beautiful, all of us have been blessed by the light Brother Norby had touched us with.

Alicia Phillips said...

This is just beautiful, all of us have been blessed by the light Brother Norby had touched us with.

littlegr24 said...

I taught with Richard for the last few years of his career. He is a saint. And his angel wife... they are a powerful team. I love them and am a better father, husband, and teacher because of them. May heaven continue to preserve and bless them.
Gary Little

Anna said...

Thanks Lori! Shine on!

Anna said...

Yes Craig, he is one of the best men I know.

Anna said...

Thanks Scott. Your question prompted my post today. I hope you will join us to #sharethelight. Join the Facebook group and spread the word. Let's let the light shine for Brother Norby.

Anna said...

I think all of his students secretly felt like we were his favorite - he made us all feel special and loved. I hope you will join our movement to share kindness in his honor. Join the Facebook group Share the Light. Shine on! #sharethelight

Anna said...

Thank you Alicia. He is a giant among men. Please join us in sharing kindness to honor him. See today's post for details. Shine on!

Anna said...

Thank you Brother Little. The Norbys are the very best of people. I hope you will join us in sharing kindness on their behalf. Let your light shine for them!

littlegr24 said...

Anna, you are doing something beautiful here. I made arrangements for this blog to be sent to the Norby family. thank you for getting this started!! Our prayers are with them.
Gary

شركة المثالي سوبر said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصفوة جروب said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصفوة جروب said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصفوة جروب said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصفوة جروب said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصفوة جروب said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصفوة جروب said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصفوة جروب said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.