Saturday, September 11, 2010

3:42 pm

The house is strangely quiet for a moment. A Saturday afternoon lull in the chaos of projects, chores and birthday parties. Gray clouds loom and swirl in the wind, threatening a deluge but withholding their splendor of moisture, sitting simply between my tired eyes and the sun. I look out my front window and see a lone flag blowing quietly in the wind.

My heart lurches, stirring in the silence of the memory. Cascading images suddenly fill my heart and mind. The shock, the uncertainty, the anger, the sorrow, the eerie silence of people huddled around television screens, watching, wondering, waiting - the image of a lonely flag flying in the wind.

I still feel a sense of sadness, of loss. It somehow never seems right for me to have a 'normal' day on this anniversary. I lost a friend that day, but I also lost a sense of innocence and trust in the world. I couldn't understand then how people who lived so far away could feel enough hatred to destroy families and lives in such a sudden, violent, shocking way. I still don't understand it. I sometimes wish I could go back to that morning when I dropped my now teenage daughter off at preschool and relish the innocence of that moment. It was such a lovely, simple morning until...

I feel simultaneously removed and connected to that day. Removed by time - years have spanned the days and weeks of normalcy returned since then. Removed by distance from the terror - recognizing that fear is only granted by permission. Removed by healing and children and inches indicating their growth and mine since then. And yet connected - connected to my fellow Americans who grieved and mourned and angered with me that day. Connected by loss and fear and wonder at the why. Connected by the waves of minutes and hours and years that slowly carried us each away from that terrible day and then back to it again each year as we remember.

The silent flag blows softly in the darkened, threatening sky. The wind blows my memories, twisting them into certain remembrance. The sorrow swirls and sudden tears drop unbidden down my face. I notice them only as they fall and begin to mix and mingle with nature's sudden agreement. The somber heavens finally open as the rain descends, drop by drop, soaking the flag as it circles in the wind.

3 comments:

Patrick and Leigh said...

so lovely. thank you!

Julia said...

Nice! I too am grateful for the distance from location I now feel & for time that has granted healing. Did you also live in DC when it happened? It was a nightmare to live so close & have so much of our lives affected by it. Nice blog.

Sea Star said...

9/11 does stir up a lot of memories. You write so well and express the emotions so well!

I don't know anyone personally who died that day but having walked those streets and climbed those buildings it makes it all the more real when I see the pictures.

We actually celebrate on 9/11. My daughter is 9 years old today. We have cake and ice cream and the family gets together. But I can't help but remember what I was doing when I watched the events of that 9/11 morning. I was breathing through contractions getting ready to bring life into the world. A world very different than the one I wanted or imagined for my little girl.