Saturday, January 16, 2010

Helpless in Haiti

I sat at my kitchen table yesterday morning staring at the newspaper. Pictures of bleeding children, suffering people scrabbling through the rubble of what was once their lives, tears streaming down their faces. As their tears quickly became mine and I felt the moisture touch the pages of newsprint, I couldn't eat my breakfast. My half eaten bowl of cereal sat suddenly unwanted off to the side and I looked at my glistening glass of pure, clean ice water. People were dying from lack of water, the reporter said. Water. And all I had to do today was turn on my tap, place my glass underneath and drink from the fountain of life. I sat feeling helpless and guilty. How could I eat when people were dying, bleeding, suffering?

I heard of some religious leaders blaming the earthquake on wickedness in Haiti. Now I don't pretend to understand all the ways of God, and surely this natural disaster can be placed in no one else's hands but His. But the God I know would hardly punish an already poverty stricken, suffering nation with more calamity to humble them to recognize His hand. The Haitian people are decidedly religious, one report I read of a woman running down the road screaming, "We know you are the greatest, God. We know. You don't need to show us again!" So I wonder if in the midst of this horrifying devastation, God is not testing the faith of the devastated, but ours.

He surely has heard the cries and prayers of His suffering children there, even before the earthquake started. But have we? I wonder if God allowed this to happen so that we could no longer ignore the wearied, broken hearts of His children - their cries and sorrows suddenly front page news. I wonder if He is forcing us to finally see what so many of us have been choosing to ignore. I wonder if the calamity could have been stayed by His loving hand not if they had repented, but if we had.

I have been plagued by these thoughts, wondering what I could do to help. I have given my donation to the Red Cross. I contribute regularly to my church's humanitarian aid fund which has already begun to send hygiene kits and basic supplies over to Haiti. My husband will be working all day tomorrow, Sunday, to ready more soldiers to leave for Haiti. So many around me here in the military city where I live are giving more, yet again. I spoke with a neighbor who, with guilt in her voice, expressed her hope that her husband would be spared this assignment. You see, he just returned home from the war. He has already been gone for months and months, sacrificing himself to protect the innocent. The thought of having him leave already, even in the midst of the visible suffering, is incredibly difficult for their family. Yes, the soldiers are trained. Yes, this is why we have a military. Yes, they will go if they are asked to go. They will continue to sacrifice again and again to not only keep our country safe, but to provide hope and comfort and protection to weary nations throughout the world.

But I wonder. I wonder if every person in the world could view this tragedy for what it really is - a human tragedy. I wonder if instead of sending in our obligatory donations to the Red Cross, relying on our wonderful but wearied soldiers, and then turning off the news so we don't have to hear about the horrifying conditions in Haiti, we each rise up and do something. Something significant. Something of sacrifice. If God is testing us to see how we will react to His suffering poor, are we willing to get on our knees? Are we willing to humbly ask Him what we as individuals, with our unique set of talents and resources can do in this moment to make a difference?

Could we who have medical training leave comfortable homes and incomes to sacrifice our time and talents to help the wounded? Could we who are patients of those individuals walk into their offices with resources or donations or skills to keep their practices afloat in their absence? Could we who are their employees, their neighbors, their friends rally around them and send them over to help? Could we offer assistance to local firefighters, rescue personnel and those trained to deal with such significant situations so that they can go and help? Could we carpool their children, walk their dogs, shovel their walkways, buy their groceries? Could we forgo a dinner out, a new suit or a family vacation to contribute more? Could we fall to our knees in gratitude for our own blessings and then get up and go to work to share those resources with those in need? I wonder what would happen if suddenly private citizens everywhere were willing to sacrifice in significant ways in order to help those in need?

What can I do? God has given me the gift of words and I felt impressed to write today. What can you do? I don't know, but God does. We can each ask God that question, and when we ask with a heart willing to follow what He whispers, He will guide us. He will lead us to the resources and people and places where He can best use each of us. He wants us to help. He needs us to help. He can use you with your unique set of skills and circumstances to bless the poor and needy in every time, but especially now. When the cries of His suffering children can finally no longer be ignored.

No comments: