Saturday, March 28, 2009

Of Weeds

I was weeding my flower bed the other day. It was a sunny, quiet morning and it was just me and the weeds that had grown up over the winter and were threatening my newly resurrected dianthus and daylilies. I had been dreading this impending chore, knowing some of the roots were deep, some of the weeds had been ignored and grown larger than I'd cared to admit, and it's just a yucky, tiresome chore. But as the morning progressed, I noticed something. The soil was soft and forgiving. The weeds came out fairly easily. What should have taken all morning, was accomplished with minimal effort in a couple of hours. It had rained the day before.

I wondered about the weeds in my life. Ones with deep roots. Ones that had grown comfortably over time. Ones that didn't seem significant at the time so had grown slowly, but certainly, over time. Ones I simply hadn't wanted to tackle, knowing the effort it would take.

Often we wonder why it rains. Maybe God simply knows we have some weeding to do.

3 comments:

James and Katrina said...

Such profound thoughts. Thanks. So you like yoga. You used to have back problems? Does it help? Do you use yoga blocks? What videos do you like? I would like to get into it.

Crazy Beth said...

You know, I always think about my life when I pull weeds or take care of my garden and flowers. I find it theraputic to remove all of the ugliness that doesn't belong and make it beautiful again. The dirt of the earth makes me feel so good! You put what I've always felt into great words. Thanks!

Rae said...

great insight. thanks!